Monday, September 10, 2012

A successful first day of classes

Dear Dialog,

Unlike a traditional school who rushes students into classes hoping that their "track" and speed will work for the student, our school takes a week to get to know the student and help them chose their classes according to their skill levels. Today, was the first day of classes classes. This term I am teaching, Government, four Academic Focus Labs where I am focusing on English, World History and Math, in addition to a Girls PE Class which is a first for the school. This PE Class is not your traditional PE class either. I am teaching kickboxing, yoga, pilates, weight training, circuit training and Zumba! Holy crap on a cracker!!! The girls in the class are really excited as am I!!!


This is the first term where I am not teaching Economics. It has been my safety comfort as I know that class and know how I like to teach it, but I am looking forward to teaching these Academic Focus Labs which is something that I have not taught before.

My Academic Focus Lab classes are going to be a struggle for me as I am differentiating the material for each class as some students are in my class for one or two or even three class periods. Typically they are in either two or three classes in a row or have them as a block where they are combined, but mine are all over the place and I am trying to decide what is going to be the best way to do this. It will most certainly be trial and error but it will only make me a better teacher in the end.

On a non-blog note, my roommate from my freshman year of college has moved back to Eugene and we are having a glorious girls weekend this weekend. It also happens to be her birthday on the 13th so we are celebrating that at the same time!!! I am really looking forward to this as I have not seen her for two years!!!

Best and more to come soon!!!

Chelsea

No comments:

Post a Comment