Thursday, September 13, 2012

A week of struggles

Dear Dialog,

Warning... This post is a bit of a downer...  :(

This week has been a week of struggles. My Academic Focus class I wrote about earlier has been kicking my butt. When I was first told I was going to be teaching an academic focus class, I was under the impression that I was going to be doing it as a block class where students would be with me for two class periods instead of the typical one. This however, has not become the case. I have some students for one, two or even three class periods in an Academic Focus class.

When I planned for this class, there was going to be a focus on English and History, more specifically World History. Since this obviously has not happened, I have been going around in my head trying to figure out what the hell I am supposed to do!

At this point, I have come to the conclusion, that I am going to have to do packet work (something I am not a fan of but works well if you have to differentiate multiple lessons for many students). I guess that my kids this term will be doing a lot more independent work. Not that I don't mind the independent work at all, I just like working together and feeling like I am doing something in my classes instead of just answering a question or two. I like having those "ah-ha" moments and I don't get those with the packet work. Unfortunately, there is no way for me to create a single lesson plan for 50 students that I can differentiate for all... It just can't happen and that upsets me.

I guess the fact that it upsets me is a good thing.

Oh well, I guess that next term I will just have to be a little clearer when talking to my boss about what I am teaching and how I am teaching it. That way I don't make this mistake again. Lesson learned!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment